Challenger 2 Addon

Apologies if this is'nt in the right forum section but I was browsing the BIS Forums and came across this Challenger 2 addon which as there is'nt one included in the BAF MOD people are referring to as the best alternative. Was just wondering if there would be any interest in adding this to the already well made British Forces units in the recent addon package? Bearing in mind I do realise it is a but ugly :D

Posted Image

Description:

This addon will give you Woodland and Desert versions of the following:

- FV4034 Challenger 2

- FV4034 Challenger 2 w/ Layer 1 Armour

- FV4034 Challenger 2 w/ Layer2 Armour, inc RPG fencing

A Note on Armour Values:

In real life combat situations, the Challenger 2 has been known to have taken hits from 40+ anti tank weapons (including, rumour has it, a Milan) and come out the other end without too much damage and a safe crew. It is considered by some to be the best protected tank in NATOs arsenal. However, because BIS doesn't model penetration, making the Chally able to take 48 RPG hits in ArmA2 also means it ends up taking a T72 15+ rounds to kill it, which needless to say is ridiculous.

Striking a balance between gameplay, realism, and at the same time trying to compensate for BIS' crappy damage system has been a headache all along, and was one of the focuses of our now infamous internal testing. In ArmA1 we'd settled on having the Challenger easy to K kill (knock out the gun, tracks, view ports, etc), but hard to destroy. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me reproduce the same damage effects in ArmA2 - it's impossible to take out the Main Gun, for example.

I am not sure whether I am missing something, or ArmA2 is, but regardless, the result is that our previous balance position is no longer tenable; you can no longer K-kill it, aside from taking out the tracks, and it just ends up being tough with no real drawbacks. I've tried to settle on a midground, where like it's real life counterpart it's not easily killable by RPGs, however it can't stand up to more than a couple of KE 120mm rounds (dependant, of course, on the version).

Long story short is, I know in advance the toughness will come up for debate. It's a pointless debate to have, because you cannot model realistic armour values into this game with the current damage system. The best we can do is settle for a compromise, and i've tried to be as reasonable as possible whilst still maintaining the spirit of the beast that is the Challenger 2 - ie, one tough mother****er!

Would be nice to have but for the fact it would be to hard to kill and it would in the right hands be to much of a pain, but that's my opinion.

It's also an option to include the Challenger 2 in our addon pack, anc create a config only addon for ourselves to use, based on this one. This way we don't need to touch the original addon, and we'll still have an MBT that is balanced with the rest of the content.

Would be nice to have but for the fact it would be to hard to kill and it would in the right hands be to much of a pain, but that's my opinion.

This is my issue with it aswell, creating balanced game-play whilst still having the Challenger 2 as the strongest tank out there bar none. Only have to see what devastation a T90 causes these days ;)

I do like your idea Erik, would it be too much work MOD side to ask for though?

Does it actually relate to the actual tank ,as one tank took over 70 rpg hits and another with 8 RPG'S and a milan antitank missle and the crews survived inside during these attacks.

The only one killed was hit by friendly fire with an open crew hatch and a Hesh round.

The Milan Missle attack was only a rumour I think amongst the Army. But it can most certainly withstand a lot of RPG's fired at it that's for sure ;)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10912

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11911

Challenger been updated,

- Thermal sights

- Minor texture updates

- Engine sound updates

Might be able to help you Erik, with regards to the sound?

It's not the same addon as the one we're using. We've got the P:UKF one, the one on armaholic would probably have been decent quality in OFP ;)

For reference: Posted Image

Could the sound from this addon not be transferred to the current one in some way and save you sometime having to edit it yourself?

The sound itself is most likely not the issue with our current Challenger addon. It's the configuration that's b0rken. What might help is to taker a look at the addon you mentioned, to see if their sound config is better, though I'm basing the updated config on BIS' M1A1 config, which should form a textbook example ;)

The sound itself is most likely not the issue with our current Challenger addon. It's the configuration that's b0rken. What might help is to taker a look at the addon you mentioned, to see if their sound config is better, though I'm basing the updated config on BIS' M1A1 config, which should form a textbook example ;)

From what I've played with using the sounds, challenger 2 will need afew extra which I can make if needed :D